Monday, July 2, 2007

ccache for MSVC

For those building OpenOffice.org on Win32, it might be interesting that I've extended ccache to deal with MSVC. I've done it during our Novell HackWeek; I hope you'll enjoy the result as much as I enjoyed the hacking ;-)

It is easy to use, instead of guw.exe /path/to/cl.exe, you'll use guw.exe ccache.exe /path/to/cl.exe in your CXX environment variable after having sourced the environment. To see the ccache statistic, use ccache -s. You can override the directory where is the cache stored by exporting CCACHE_DIR="c:\where\you\want". Should you find any bugs, please send me patches :-)

I've not measured the speedup too much yet, but it was >20% in vcl compared to non-ccache run, the penalty of the initial fill of the cache was like 17% [compared to non-ccache]. Would be great if someone did a measurement of the entire build.

The patch and the binary are here, some more info there.

No comments:

Post a Comment